UPDATE: Saints sell out suites for 2007 season; Season ticket wait list 25,000 deep; San Antonio finally giving up?
The Times-Picayune also states that the team's fans will repeat last year's feat, and buy all season tickets for 2007 as well. Plus, the Saints have a season ticket waiting list that now extends over 25,000 deep (which is just mind-boggling).
It's an incredibly positive development for the long-term viability of the franchise in New Orleans. Rita Benson LeBlanc was quoted in the article to say, "We are extremely appreciative of the support we received from fans and local businesses last season and are very encouraged with the response so far in 2007. We are hard at work to make sure the Saints are successful, both on and off the field, and look forward to announcing any team milestones when they are achieved." (An official team announcement will take place after March 31, the deadline for payment for the suites.)
This news further makes it increasingly difficult to reasonably relocate the franchise from New Orleans.
Also, the article quotes Tim Coulon, chairman of the Superdome Commission, as calling this a "milestone."
And, the original article quotes LSED commissioner Robert Bruno as responding to the New York Times article cited here in saying, "This is important because we've has such unfair and wrong criticism about the suites, the Saints, the Dome and other issues. It's definitely time to strike back."
Celebrate this one, Saints fans. It's a special development that should go a long way in terms of keeping the Saints in New Orleans.
SAN ANTONIO FINALLY GIVING UP?
The San Antonio Express-News reports today that the city may finally be quitting its vulturistic behavior toward New Orleans and will instead focus on its own city's developments.
Consultant Michael Sculley has informed the city that based on conversations with the NFL and MLB, city officials should use tax revenues on matters other than attempting to attract other professional sports franchises to San Antonio.
Most interestingly, local judge Nelson Wolff, who has been quoted in other pieces for items related to the Saints, told the Express-News that new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him in January that the league had zero interest in having a franchise in San Antonio.
Yet here we sit, two months later, and some in the city are still debating the issue.
Thanks yet again, San Antonio.
At least they're taking it well. Or maybe they're not.
Sculley was quoted as saying, "I think we need to be proactive and tell (the NFL and MLB), 'You've turned your back on us long enough. It's time we take care of our own.'"
After its actions over the last year and a half, San Antonio should know plenty about turning its back on other cities.
Got a comment? Email me at email@example.com.